So today was the big day.

After 5 cancellations, we got the call at 11am that the surgery was going ahead and to come in as soon as we could.

A quick admission later, James was taken straight off by the Anaesthetist for preparation and then a long wait while the surgeon went ahead with the operation.

So far so good. James is in Intensive Care recovering. They still have him out for the moment and he is getting a little help with the breathing, but he's stable and doing well.

The next step is to wake him up and take out the breathing tube. Not sure yet if that is to be done tonight or in the morning, the doctors are yet to decide.